Popular Posts

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Myths About High School: I was so wrong.

Before entering high school, I had read and heard so many things about it that I realize today aren't remotely true.

After two years of this, I decided to finally write about all I was wrong about when entering high school... Which is both hilarious and helpful to those incoming freshman.




Image result for relationship goals
1. You'll have at least  3 or 4 boyfriends/girlfriends. Hahaha, no! Many people have one or two longer term relationships or couple quicker ones or none at all. When I was in middle school, it was a trend to "date" or "like" the same person for a school year, which was probably around six months at the time. So, I thought in high school I would average about one boy per year, two if the first didn't work out... It didn't work out like that obviously.


Image result for mean girls
2. There is popularity in high school. There's a bit and I won't deny that, but it's not half as bad as I thought it would be. Look at Clueless, Mean Girls and so on to see what I thought it would be like; Popular upperclassmen with the desire to pick on all the normal people like me. Basically, I think there's popular by people (the nice ones!), popular by habit (sluts, sorry.) and popular by their own choosing and attitude (they did nothing to become popular, they just were and that was it). High school is more just a bunch of normal people.

Image result for seniors and freshman
3. Upperclassmen are going to beat you up. No one is going to throw you in a dumpster or make you scrub the school logo painting with a toothbrush. They do use you to do little chores and such on sports teams, especially as a freshman. When I used to be a cheerleader, they would yell "Hey, Fresh Monkeys! Go clean up the equipment." but honestly it was kind of an honor.


Image result for highschool parties


4. There are lots of parties. Maybe it's just my high school, but no one really goes to parties besides a very select group. The rest of us just stick to the dances and things.

5. Prom is practically a ball. Run by ASB (students) honestly prom usually sucks due to low budget. Not everyone looks like a queen and the boy of your dreams probably won't walk across the room dramatically to say "Hey, you look amazing. Let's dance." (Taylor Swift, You Belong With Me) but he may look over at you and smile if you're lucky. Prom can still be fun though, but you have to make it fun and not depend on everyone else.



Image result for girl and guy friends
6. Every girl gets a guy friend. Unlike middle school, girls and guys can be friends again, turns out cooties weren't actually a thing (WAIT, WHAT?!). But some girls, like me, just can't have close guy friends. You see, one of the two of us falls for each other every single time. My first guy friend: Fell for him. The second and third fell for me. The fourth was dating my best friend, so we actually were decent friends. The fifth fell for me. And the sixth, the one I thought I finally got right.. We broke up from a four month relationship just a couple weeks ago. So, you can have guy friends if you're the right kind of girl.

 

Image result for promposals

7. The same girls will get asked out. This one is HUGE! In my school, there were always the same girls that had boyfriends and got asked on dates but all of that changed like crazy as soon as I got to high school. Suddenly, I was the one being asked out! WHAT! I got asked to Homecoming by a cute football player, asked on a date by a couple other guys and prom by another football player just in my freshman year. It was so insane. What. All the pretty girls get asked out still, but not as much as they did and all of a sudden it could be you dating the best guy in school.




Image result for glee football players
8. Footballers are the sh*t. According to movies and books, football players are the best. And some of them are, no doubt. But they aren't rulers of the school (Glee) or anything crazy like that. In my school, there's a tradition that the player's lucky lady wears his second jersey on game days and I admit I gave into that one. Nothing is better than watching football in  the chilly October afternoon, wearing a cutie's jersey with his cologne all over you. It's great! But, when football season ends in early November, no one really gives a crap if you play football.


Image result for first date

9.You're going to go on a lot of dates. When I finally came of age to date, I really didn't like the formality of going on dates. Let's not go sit at a restaurant as I try to look pretty and eat and make conversation all at the same time. I always thought I would get better at that, but I never did.



10.Appearance is key. With shows like The Vampire Diaries, I always thought that students could dress up for school. Not at my  high school. Every girl wears jeans and a tee shirt with her choice of shoes, not including heels. You can occasionally wear a skirt or dress or heeled boots, but have to dull it down. That part kinda sucks.



Image result for highschool parties

11. Cheerleaders are the sh*t. I was a cheerleader my freshman year and in my school, everyone hated us! And if they don't hate you, they'll probably be indifferent towards you. It's bad. The most popular girls can be in other sports or no sports and all and cheerleaders, though slightly admired by the football players, "ain't anything special".




11. You're going to have a high school sweetheart. By high school sweetheart, I mean that you're going to fall in love in high school at some point. I always thought that was a guarantee, but after being here for a few years, I just don't see it happening for sure. Good guys are hard to find! And to make them like you, date you, stay with you and eventually love you? Nearly impossible. However, I don't suggest being a pessimist and completely dismissing this idea of love, who knows.



Image result for eek face
12. Everyone is having sex. Sorry, this one is a little rude and harsh, but it has to be said. There are a lot of girls and guys out there experimenting and doing that, but not as many as I thought there would be. And, it's a lot more private. There's not really as many rumors as I thought there would be about who is sleeping with who and why and when and oh my god; no. The only people I know about are those who told me directly.

Image result for clueless


13. You'll know what's going on. You probably won't know your future or even where you're going for lunch in five minutes. You're Clueless (whoops, a pun). But it's great nonetheless.


Well, that's it for now! I thought if you're going into high school, you may find these helpful. And, if you're already in high school, you may find these  fairly funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment